Thursday 12 June 2008

INTEREST vs AMBITION vs CAREER

Finally... I gave my boss the 'bomb'.

My boss is pretty upset that I'm leaving so soon. He some sort like lecture me for more than 1 hour two days ago. I told him a white lie. I lied to him that I'm not offered. I feel bad. He said he'll hold my resignation. He asked me to think about it during the weekend. I plan to tell him the truth on Monday. I'm pretty upset too. Boss, I really don't mean to lie you. Please forgive me.

Boss told me something that I agree very much with him. He said that we cannot mix interest with ambition with career.

Because interest is just like your hobby. For example, I like animals. But can I use my interest to earn for a living? Definitely can. But does it satisfies me financially?

Your ambition can be the most famous painter in the world, the famous musician in the whole universe, or even the famous golfer to beat Tiger Woods. But is it realistic?

Frankly speaking, since young I do not even have a specific interest or ambition. My interest is ever changing. I still remember when I was still in my Primary years. My teacher asked us to write an essay about my ambition. I'd been thinking for the whole morning what I want to be when I grow big.

Doctor? No way... It's a way too expensive and need to be very intelligent and excel in study. Lawyer? Erm... I do not like books. Nurse? Eeee... have to cucuk jarum... I don't want. Policewoman? Ahhh... Need to run around catching thieves. Don't want la...

So I asked my friends around me. Many of them wrote that they want to become a Teacher. Good idea... I also want to become a Teacher lah. If don't know what to write, still can copy their points. And become a teacher so good, can cane students.

During Form 3, my use-to-be bestfriend ajak me to go for Arts as a career. During that time, I love arts a lot and excel very well in arts too. She said she'll go for Graphic Designer. I planned to go after Architecture as I love mathematics. But after thinking for a while, I changed my mind. I don't think I can earn it for a living as I'm not good in brainstorming. I'm always out of idea (even now still the same >_<). So I go for Science in Form 4. I think that is also partly the reason why the relationship between my bestfriend and I relationship turns cold. After Form 5, I got A for my Physics. So I go for Engineering because it was so demanding during that time. So I think I've made the right choice all these while. Because I go for career and opportunities.

Boss told me, there is only one person he could think of who can have his interest, ambition and career at the same time.

He's TIGER WOODS.

From the age of 5, I was still running around without any slippers outside and playing with my masak masak. But Tiger Woods was totally different. He asked his dad to bring him to the field to play golf. At the age of 11, his ambition was to beat the famous golfer during that era.

Now, Tiger Woods is the most famous, strongest, and wealthiest golfer in the universe. He can enjoy his interest to achieve his ambition as well as having it as a career. So perfect.

4 comments:

古小玉 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
古小玉 said...

Well, it's true we work bcos we want to earn our living, not bcos of hobby. Next week also I will tender my resignation letter, I m sure my boss will say the same things, have to take many effort to learn new things lar, promise to give good increment & bonus next year lah, bla bla bla...... I think my decision considers more risky than yours, I need to go oversea to work (alone) and my earning also depends on how many projects the new company can secured. Well, no risk no gain, if I not willing to make a change, I wouldnt know what will happen in my future. Sometimes we have to accept new challenge, that's life. Anyway, I wish u good luck.

kRiZcPEc said...

good luck.

Shen said...

khoo, tender already? How is it? What did your boss say to you?
I've told my boss that I was offered a job with another company. My boss doesn't look very happy. DIe die... Yesterday got 'lectured' by him for half an hour in his room. He asked me a lot of unanswerable questions. Damn. He still want to hold back my resignation. Now BIG BOSS wants to talk to me. Aiksss....

Kriz, thanks for your support!! Miss you!